Saturday, June 8, 2013

Does God Need Me?

Does God need me? To me this is a very interesting question. I believe we have a tendency to see ourselves as more important than we truly are.

Pastors are often accused of thinking the Church revolves around them but this can be just as true of any Layman in the congregation as well.

The Pastor may say, “Well, I am the Pastor, how could this Church survive without my preaching and hard work!” The layman may say, “I give or do so much for this Church, there is no way they could go on without me and my sacrifices!” Both are WRONG! The Pastor and Layman have both failed to recognize that nothing in their life belongs to them be it a talent or treasure. As a matter of fact, everything we are or possess belongs to the Lord. We are simply tools in the Master’s hand.

I believe the Lord does desire to use us in His will or plan for life but it would do us well to remember that we are not indispensable. After a person comes to Christ they are to follow the command found in Romans 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

If we can comprehend that we are just tools which the Lord desires to use, then we will understand that we are useful, but replaceable. As I said, I do believe the Lord desires to use us and He has a perfect plan or will for our life, but if won’t be used then we can and will be replaced. It is hard to imagine what could be worse than to be a Christian with all the potential to be used but because of sin or stubbornness in our life we are “set on a shelf”.


I challenge you to evaluate your attitude toward service today and to ask yourself, ‘do I think I am more than I am?” Remember the thought put forth in Galatians 6:3 - For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself. Don’t deceive yourself; anything you are is simply by the grace of God! Be a willing and usable tool for the Lord today! To God be the Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment